Sneak preview of things to come? Quite possibly.
I never knew how hard it would be to create a guest list for a wedding, until I was in the predicament of making one myself. Sure, you might think it’s easy, but when you’re limited to 35 people, someone is bound to get left out. So, who do you invite? Do you go the ‘brag’ route and invite people who hate to see you happy? Do you invite your entire extended family? Do you just put names in a hat and draw randomly? These are questions I’ve been asking myself for months now and I finally came up with an easy system to help aid me in this task. It’s nothing too involved and it’s just three easy steps that I’ve made up on the fly.
Read the rest of this entry »
Wow, it’s been a really long time since I’ve written anything and that makes me sad. So much has been going on in my life and I can’t wait to share it with everyone. I recently started a job that’s extremely demanding of my time but nevertheless, that’s not an excuse.
In the upcoming weeks, I’ll have a crazy amount of stories including but not limited to: house hunting, creating a guest list, bridal conventions, gift registering and more. By crazy amount, I mean like 4 or 5. I know I’ve been neglecting you but stick with me, I’ll be sure to treat you right as I continue on with my engaged journey.
Absolutely whatever they want! I’m not a huge fan of the day myself and some would say I down right hate it. However, I do enjoy spending time with the special lady in my life and try to make every day worthwhile. This is what we did for Valentines Day:
- Woke up at 2 a.m. to watch a movie because neither one of us could sleep.
- After the movie ended, I played Flower until she fell asleep. (the music in the game is very calming)
- With a few hours of sleep under our belts, we woke up and I proceeded to beat her in Scrabble….which never happens, so you know I’ll have to brag about this at least once a day for the rest of the week.
- Being the silly people that we are, we attempted to go to a restaurant on Valentine’s Day: not recommended. It was around 5 p.m and the place demanded a reservation. Needless to say, we left that place.
- I don’t think either of us was too upset about not being able to eat at a restaurant, so we went to the grocery store and grabbed ingredients for our own special romantic dinner. She prepared what you see in the picture above and I couldn’t have been happier.
- After dinner, we were both fully stuffed and decided to lie on the couch. She quickly fell asleep as I watched the NBA All-Star festivities unfold. (the dunk contest was really weak by the way)
All in all, the day was great and we both had a great time. I’m grateful that I was able to find someone who loves the same things I do. Someone who doesn’t get caught up in the hype that is Valentine’s Day and knows that I aim to make her feel special everyday in my own unique way. Also, she bought me Killzone 2 for my gift. HOW AWESOME IS THAT??? I know guys, feel free to be jealous.
So there I was, on one knee in front of a crowd of people atop a fort in St. Augustine. I was still tired from the lack of sleep the night before but excited with the thought of embarking on a new journey in my life. As I awaited her answer to the question that has been keeping me up for weeks, I felt like we were the only ones there that day. I saw her lips move and head nod but all I could see were letters flowing out of her mouth and into my brain one at a time. As I frantically put these letters into words, a sense of calm rushed over me. I was relieved, I was excited…she said yes. All of that research, stress, and preparation put towards finding the ring was a success. Now it’s time to sit back and listen to her brag about her ring to anyone who will listen.
3 months earlier…
If you told me that I would write such a title at some point in my life, I would have told you that you smoke too much and should cut back. Today I was able to partake in a meeting dealing with the title above. Being the responsible and timely guy that I am, I showed up on time to this meeting. Someone, you can probably guess who, was 15 minutes late leaving me to answer some pretty easy questions about the wedding day. For some odd reason, the caterer was shockingly surprised about the amount of details I knew about the wedding. What, because I’m a guy I shouldn’t know when I’m getting married? I shouldn’t know the number of guest we are expecting? Well of course I do, but that’s about it .
After the late party decided to join the meeting, we had a brief discussion on color palettes for the linens. Although I couldn’t careless about the colors of some table covers, I’m happy to know that we are going with a navy centric color scheme. We also picked out the menu for the reception. While this may sound awesome, with the lack of tasting it takes away that “awesome” factor. Lucky for us, the caterer hooked us up with a free dinner for two at a local BBQ place up the street. Go Team Us!
All in all, I really didn’t have to do much but I felt it was necessary that I showed up just in case. Plus she likes when I give input…I think.
If you stumbled across this site I can safely assume one of the following things:
- You are my fiancee and enjoy seeing the random stuff I write.
- You are a guy who wanted to see how someone else is handling this whole “engagement” situation.
- You are a girl who really wants to know how some guys think.
- You are a friend or family member who was spammed by me.
If you fall into one of these categories, welcome. I decided to create this site for the sole purpose of engaging a conversation among guys who might be feeling the pressure of becoming engaged. I want to get the word out to the masses that becoming a part of the married community isn’t as bad as your friends might make it out to be. I’m also going to give a few tips of things I’ve learned thus far.
Hopefully my stories will not only make you laugh but give you a peace of mind or some insight that seems to be vacant on the internet. I see a lot of sites geared towards the ladies, but what about us? I plan on changing that.
October 18th, 2009 is the big day for my fiancee and me. Care to join me on my journey until then? I thought so.